Volunteer Powell River’s Youth Steering Committee is a group of Powell River youth between the ages of 15 & 29 who believe in making a difference in our community through connection and volunteering.
Powell River & District United Way and Volunteer Powell River have partnered with Volunteer Victoria, and other volunteer centres on Vancouver Island, in the Youth 20/20 Can Project.
This project, entering it's fourth year, provides:
• A diverse group of youth with a meaningful, committed service opportunity allowing them to develop and enhance their personal and professional skills;
• Opportunities for youth to have the life-changing and inspiring experience of being a volunteer while working to create a more caring, inclusive, and compassionate society for the future;
• Increase civic and community engagement among youth, especially underrepresented youth such as those in rural and remote areas and those with barriers to engagement, highlighting the impact of youth engagement to the broader community;
• An opportunity to earn a scholarship grant
for a post-secondary institute in British Columbia based on volunteer hours;
• Assistance to youth participants in co-creating and implementing innovative service opportunities that address the unique needs of their community, including culturally diverse initiatives; and
• Creates opportunities for youth to engage in their community.
Youth 20/20 Can is funded by the Government of Canada under the Canada Service Corps Program.